Probiotics are a hot topic of conversation. Research shows that the “good bacteria”, known as probiotics, are crucial for good digestion. We know that good digestion starts in the mouth, so should we take probiotics for better dental health in Hudson, NY? The answer is yes, but the reasons may surprise you.
How Probiotics Can Improve Your Dental Health
- Good bacteria can fight the bad bacteria that lead to cavities and gum disease. One study shows that the introduction of a certain bacterial strain, named A12, prevented bad bacteria from creating plaque.
- Probiotics have been shown to reduce inflammation, improving dental health. Chronic inflammation affects all who suffer from gum disease and can be quite painful. Inflammation has also been linked to a higher likelihood of systemic illness.
- Good bacteria can relieve symptoms of gum disease. Researchers have used probiotics to improve inflammation, gum tenderness, and tooth sensitivity.
- Probiotics can help prevent bad breath. Halitosis has been linked to numerous dental health issues, such as cavities, gum disease, and oral cancer. Bad breath is one of the earliest symptoms of gum disease. The bacteria that cause cavities, infection and decay are reduced by probiotics, thereby eliminating the source of the problem.
- Good bacteria may help to prevent oral cancer. More studies are required.
However, early evidence shows that probiotics may help us lower our chances of developing oral cancer, protecting dental health.
Probiotics may be found in foods or supplements. Yogurt, kefir, miso, kimchi, sauerkraut, and sour dough bread, are all excellent examples of foods rich in good bacteria. Supplements, like powders and pills, will offer larger concentrations to help enhance your dental health.
For exceptional dental health in Hudson, NY, visit the office of Dr. Robert Danz. We offer advanced laser treatments and implant dentistry to ensure the beauty and integrity of your smile and dental health. Schedule a one-on-one consultation today.